My EBAY listings ~~ Handpainted AND Original!! Click here to take a look!

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest

Well, Thanksgiving was two days ago and here at AWESOME ASS ACRES, we're still recovering from turkey, pecan pie and deviled eggs!  I hope everyone enjoyed the day as much as we did!  We had a full house with our friends and family, the food was excellent, and the memories are many!!  Our friend, Jimmy Martin drove over from Etheridge, TN, on Monday, then on Tuesday, he, another friend, Bonnie Broughton, Larry and I, decided to visit the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, in Graham County, North Carolina.  It was a beautiful drive over on the Cherohala Skyway and an amazing hike through some of the largest trees I've ever seen!  The forest hosts the largest virgin stand of timber in the Eastern United States, with some of the trees dating back 400 years.  Some of the enormous yellow poplars are 20 feet in diameter and stand over 100 feet tall.  Joyce Kilmer is known for his poem "TREES" and this is such a fitting memorial to him.

TREES
By: Joyce Kilmer -- 1886-1918

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

                                                  Jimmy and Larry


                                                    Jimmy Martin


                                                Neat shot looking up

Jimmy and Bonnie

What a great sight to visit, if you're ever in the area!  For more info, click on site below:

I have so much to be thankful for...my sweet husband, my healthy, smart, wonderful children, my family, my friends, my animals, the blessing of being able to retire here in the beautiful mountains of Tennessee...the list is endless. 
In fact, this year I've decided that there's NOTHING that I'm not thankful for, because every day, every joy, every heartache, every hardship, makes up this wonderful thing called life and I'm so glad to be part of it!! 
I hope each and every one of you finds joy and happiness in every day, not just during the holidays!  Take care and stop by again!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! IT'S FUN TO KNOW THAT YOU'VE STOPPED BY AND I LOVE HEARING FROM YOU!!